Tuesday 2 December 2014

Merry Early Christmas!!



Merry Christmas family & friends!!

I know it’s a bit early to be saying that but here at the Uganda Whisnand house we are in full Christmas mode already. So far we have: bought a Christmas tree and some decorations, put up an advent calendar that some friends sent us (thank you Amber and Jeff), and pulled out all the Christmas music we can find on our iPods. It’s been really nice actually. There nothing quite like hanging out with friends or playing with your kids to some Kenny G or Charlie Brown Christmas music. Here are some pictures of us getting ready for the season.


Jay setting up the tree

Nate & Beth helping with the decorations

Becky & the kids doing the final touches


We haven’t done an update in 2 months and I can honestly say we’ve been too busy to do one. The highlight of the past month has been my (Jay) unexpected trip back to Canada for 2 weeks at the beginning of November. To update everyone on the story, I came home from work on Wednesday, October 22 and Becky was talking to her mom on skype. I walk in the door and Becky says “My mom has some news for you.” I instantly thought that it might be news of my Canadian citizenship application and it was. Since Becky and I got married, it’s always been a goal of ours to try to get everyone in our family on the same passport. This way no matter where we live we don’t have to worry about having a “home” for us to come back too. No visas. Well, last year I finally met the residency time requirements and I submitted my Canadian citizenship application. From my understanding, the process would probably take 2 years and part of that process would be to take a citizenship test. So I thought it would be probably be sometime in 2015 that I would get a letter about my test. Well I got a letter on October 22 that I had to be in Vancouver on November 5 at 8:19am for my test. To say the least I was a little shocked. To sum up the rest of the story, I bought a plane ticket and flew into Vancouver on Halloween night and was there for about 11 days. I passed my test and am supposed to hear soon about the next step. I also got some much needed dental work done which I was soooo pumped about. It needed to get done.
The other part about me being out of the country for 2 weeks was that Becky was doing everything for our two kids by herself for that time. Becky was glad that the kids had school to go to but she was definitely glad to have me back. There’s no experience quite like being a young dad and you come back from a trip where you have been traveling for 30 hours and your wife tells you that she’s sleeping in tomorrow. Please know I am not complaining here. It’s funny.

I also wanted to share a passage that has encouraged me lately. I’ve been reading through Romans and I always get towards the end of the book (after chapter 11) and I love what it says. So much in there. Anyway here is Romans 12:9-21.

Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you. Don’t curse them; pray that God will bless them. Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with each other. Don’t be too proud to enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don’t think you know it all! Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone.

Right now this passage really challenges me to let my light shine. In this passage Paul mentions specific things, actions, intentions, etc. and it reminds me of Matthew 5:14-16. The Romans verse kind of fleshes out the Matthew verse.

“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.

I hope you are encouraged by these verses.

Besides that, here are some recent past & future highlights:

  • We had a Thanksgiving/Christmas party with my work this past Saturday. We had turkey and about 60 people including EMI people with their families. It was a lot of fun.
  • Nathaniel & Bethany will be in their first Christmas program at church this coming Sunday. Nathaniel is going to be shepherd and Bethany a sheep. Becky did a great job with their costumes.
  • One of the funnier things is that both of the kids have developed a Ugandan accent with certain words. They go to school with Ugandan kids and some of their teachers are Ugandan and those who aren’t are from Switzerland or the Netherlands so it’s natural to happen. It’s pretty hilarious to hear Nathaniel tell us he played in the “sand peet” today (instead of the sandpit).
  • Becky’s semester of teaching is almost done. She will have a 2.5 week break for Christmas. She is really really looking forward to it. Please pray for Becky & her job. She wants to do it well and at the same time, be the mom she wants to be.
  • My work is going well. The MAF/EMI building project that I am managing is doing well and I love the work I do. I have attached a picture below of where we are with the building.
  • Also, not really a highlight but just a big prayer request. Please continue to pray for us as we are here. That we would let our light shine. That we would know Jesus more in the good and the hard days.
Nate doing a great job at the kids weekly swimming lessons.
A recent picture of the project Jay is working on showing a retaining wall to the left & a portion of the bldg to the right.



We love y’all and miss everyone.

The Whisnands

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had a good time decorating your tree and listening to Christmas music. Now for some baking! Thanks for sharing those encouraging scriptures. A good reminder of how we should follow Christ. Love and miss you guys!
    Auntie Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you soooo much. We talked about ya'll this past weekend several times! Your ears should have been burning. Love your update and so glad you're getting those decorations up on the equator! Love the Bible verses too...God bless all of you. Love, aunt Robbie & Dorsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this post makes me miss you guys more! It was so good to see Jay. I am glad that you guys have gotten time to do some of the Christmas traditions and bask in the anticipation of Christmas. Thanks for sharing the verses. Will pray that you will shine your lights (although I just know you are, that's just how you live) and that your flames would be fanned in good day and hard ones. Hugs and love,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you guys today and thought I'd check in. Hope you had a special Ugandan Christmas. xox Amber

    ReplyDelete